The Liederkranz ClubThe Liederkranz of the City of New York was founded on January 9, 1847 by 25 German immigrants as a male singing society. From this humble beginning, it developed into an organization which has contributed to the musical, cultural and social life of the city of New York.
Under the leadership of William Steinway (who served intermittently as its president from 1867 through 1896), the Liederkranz became a center of choral, orchestral and operatic performances in New York City. In the early 1880’s a beautiful clubhouse was constructed on East 58th Street just East of Park Avenue in Manhattan. Here, German charity and elegant dress balls were held regularly, the highlight of New York’s social season. The period before the First World War was the Golden Age of the Liederkranz, with a membership of 1,500, and a male chorus of 250. President Theodore Roosevelt, Carl Schurz, Lauritz Melchior and Dr. Walter Damrosch were members, and artists Victor Herbert, Lilli Lehmann, Ferruccio Busoni and Helen Traubel were among those who performed at the clubhouse. Following WWII the original clubhouse at East 58th Street was sold, and replace by the present location at East 87th Street.
The Club Today
The new building was acquired through the generosity of a loyal membership who were determined to preserve the German musical heritage of the Liederkranz in New York City. On April 18, 1948 the Liederkranz Foundation, Inc. was established as a charitable, tax exempt organization with the purpose of providing financial support to young singers and musicians to further their careers.
The Liederkranz Club is open to any member of the public with a Prosper’s signature and a qualifying application. Yearly dues are $350, which includes free attendance at Liederkranz Operas, recitals, and guarantees a reduced rate for Dinner Theater performances.
Special dinner-opera concerts events are open to the public - Reservations required.